1. Principles and Definitions
As stated in Article III of the Convention for the North Pacific Marine Science Organization (PICES) the Organization is to promote the collection and exchange of information and data related to marine scientific research in the North Pacific Ocean and its adjacent seas.
The PICES strategy on capacity development identifies TCODE as the committee responsible for the development of communication networks for exchange of data and information.
Data gathered as a result of PICES activities will be responsibly managed to guard against loss and to ensure continued accessibility. The management of data using external data management systems is preferred to using internal PICES resources.
For any data provided to PICES, PICES will respect the ownership rights and any restrictions placed on these data by the provider.
- Data include data products and model outputs related to PICES activities. Metadata are data about data.
- End users include a person, organization, group (including PICES expert groups) using data.
- Data providers include a person, organization, group (including PICES expert groups) providing data.
- The data inventory refers to data for which PICES has the primary responsibility to manage.
2. Roles and Responsibilities
The Technical Committee on Data Exchange (TCODE) is responsible to:
- Manage the PICES data inventory.
- Assist Expert Groups to identify data that are to be included in the data inventory.
- Assist Expert Groups in the development of data management options and strategies.
- Make recommendations to Science Board on PICES data management and priorities, with particular emphasis on correcting or mitigating any known or anticipated deficiencies.
The PICES Secretariat is responsible to:
- Support TCODE in the maintenance of the data inventory.
- Support TCODE to correct or mitigate any known or anticipated deficiencies.
Science Board is responsible to:
- Include data management requirements in the Terms of Reference of each PICES expert group.
- Review the recommendations proposed by TCODE and provide recommendations to Governing Council as necessary.
Expert Groups are responsible to:
- Identify any data developed during the activities of the expert group and inform TCODE and PICES secretariat.
- Develop, with assistance from TCODE, strategies or options for managing data used by the expert group.
3. Data Produced by PICES
All data produced by PICES are considered to be publicly available unless explicitly specified otherwise.
Results, conclusions, or recommendations derived from the data associated with PICES do not imply endorsement from PICES.
Contributions of data from PICES expert groups will adhere to the expert groups’ Terms of Reference and be submitted to TCODE for inventory while the group is active.
All data including metadata should be archived using standard codes, formats, and protocols.
4. Data Provided to PICES
The quality assurance of data is the responsibility of the data provider.
In the event that PICES becomes aware there may be quality issues in the data PICES will inform the data providers as soon as possible.
Data providers should inform PICES secretariat of any policies that may place special conditions on their redistribution.
End users are responsible for the proper use of the data and metadata provided.
PICES may reformat data or metadata but will never change the data provider’s original record.
Data must be acknowledged, preferably using a formal citation.
Data citations should facilitate giving scholarly credit and normative and legal attribution to all contributors to the data, recognizing that a single style or mechanism of attribution may not be applicable to all data.
Where DOIs exist (Digital Object Identifier) they should be included in the citation.