The main objectives of the proposed SG-ECOP are to:
- Consult the PICES community to better understand priorities, gaps, and opportunities for engagement within PICES.
- Develop an engagement plan for ECOPs within PICES using consultations from the PICES community and by reviewing mechanisms used by other international or intergovernmental organizations, which may include a mission, vision, structure, alignment and synergies with expert groups.
- Identify and cultivate the development of a diverse and representative ECOP community within PICES to ensure community participation and feedback.
- Identify opportunities for PICES mentorship and knowledge sharing between experienced PICES members, ECOPs, and emerging ECOPs (e.g. youth).
- Develop Terms of Reference for a PICES expert group to implement SG recommendations on ECOP engagement and retention.